- Apple trees hand thinned after bloom
- Athletic clothing & shoes on sale
- Check your drip irrigation system—you'll be depending on it soon.
- Clean & vacuum dust from vents, baseboard heaters & cold-air returns.
- Clean gutters. Inspect gutters to ensure all spikes, straps and clips are tightly fastened. Use a garden hose to flush debris from downspouts. Make sure downspouts or splashbacks direct water at least three feet away from the foundation.
- Clean lampshades
- Continue planting daisies, asters, coreopsis, marigolds, and sunflowers—they nourish the beneficial insects, which will help keep pests in check.
- Continue to plant heat-tolerant tomatoes, such as ‘Heatwave', ‘Sunchaser', and ‘Sweet 100'.
- Cookware on sale
- Cruises on sale
- European vacations on sale
- Fertilize houseplants regularly from now until November
- Fertilize lightly to promote new growth on sage, rosemary, & lavender
- Furniture on sale
- Gifts for mom on sale
- Harvest spring crops daily to keep them producing for as long as possible.
- Have central air-conditioning unit checked according to the recommendations of the unit's manufacturer.
- Have piano tuned.
- Have swimming pools cleaned. Inspect and service pool liners and filters.
- Highlight Hair
- Home maintenance items on sale
- Linens & towels on sale
- Mattress manufacturers are shipping new models, so retailers are keen to move lingering inventory
- Mother's Day
- Move houseplants outdoors into a shady, protected location for the season
- Plant caladiums in shaded sites. Try narrow-leaved zinnia (Zinnia angustifolia) for hot spots. Give new plantings plenty of water.
- Plant eggplant, peppers, cucumbers, squash, okra, beans, sweet potatoes, melons, and southern peas this month.
- Prune lilac, bridal wreath spires, & forsythia after blooming
- Raise mower height to 3-1/4"
- Remove foliage of tulip & doffodil bulbs after they yellow & die
- Remove mineral deposits from faucet aerators and shower heads by soaking parts in white vinegar and scrubbing with an old toothbrush.
- Replace the filter in the forced-air system. Clean debris from condenser or heat pump located outside.
- Set thermostats & automatic sprinkler system to adjust for weather changes.
- Shop for seasonal sales on air-conditioning units & window fans.
- Silver on sale
- Vacuum cleaners on sale
- Wash pillows.
- Wash windows, inside and out, using a solution made from three tablespoons of non-sudsy ammonia to 1 gallon of water. Don't work in the direct sun - the solution will dry too fast and streak. To clean windows with real (not removable) grills, use a hacksaw to cut a squeegee so it fits the windowpanes exactly.
- Watches on sale
- Wedding gowns on sale